Matthew is a litigation attorney, concentrating on commercial litigation and employment law in the state and federal courts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Matthew prides himself on his effective and efficient representation of his clients and the favorable results he has achieved for them. He is responsive and compassionate toward his clients and his known for the high quality of his legal representation and his attention to detail.
As chairman of Obermayer’s Recruiting Committee, Matthew is responsible for law school recruiting and lateral attorney hiring.
Matthew has extensive experience and has been lead counsel in litigation relating to contracts, real-estate disputes, non-compete agreements, and employment disputes. He also has broad experience in defending claims before state and federal courts in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania. His recent representative engagements include the following:
- Successfully obtained a defense verdict for a business-owner in a $89 million lawsuit seeking ownership and control of a family-owned manufacturing company; also recovered all legal fees incurred in defending the matter through judgment. The Pennsylvania Superior Court affirmed the Trial Court’s award, and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court denied petitions for allowance of appeal.
- Lead counsel and prevailed in a 7-day jury trial regarding complex contractual defense and indemnification issues.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against his client, a real estate appraiser, in the Superior Court of New Jersey, and also obtained sanctions against the plaintiff for frivolous litigation.
- Secured dismissal for his client, an engineering firm, in a complex multi-family development dispute regarding water run-off claims by 14 plaintiffs seeking damages in excess of $1 million.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing various employment related claims in several lawsuits against his clients in the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Lead counsel in a $1.4 million construction defect claim settlement is featured in The Legal Intelligencer’s article “Case Over Alleged Defects at Condos Is Settled” (January 8, 2013) and was listed as the fourth largest settlement in Pennsylvania in 2012. The case was also highlighted in The Pennsylvania Record (January 21, 2013). The case centered on homebuyers who purchased newly constructed condo units only to find major issues with their units and the building, which the developer refused to address.
- Prevailed on summary judgment dismissing a New Jersey Public Policy and Age Discrimination Complaint asserted against his client in the District Court of New Jersey.
- After a three-day bench trial, successfully obtained a defense verdict on behalf of his client on claims asserted by a former employee who he was owed money for unpaid wages and commissions.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss a discrimination claim asserted against an individual supervisor in the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Successfully obtained partial summary judgment dismissing a claim against his client valued over $1 million.
- Prevailed on preliminary objections in the Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County, and was able to have his client, a notary, completely dismissed from a quiet title action.
- Successfully obtained a preliminary injunction precluding a plaintiff from attempting to sell his property without honoring the parties’ right of first refusal agreement.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss claims asserted by a tenant against its real estate broker.
- Represented a client in a claim brought by a subcontractor seeking in excess of a $250,000. As lead counsel, prevailed on a motion to dismiss in the Federal District Court of New Jersey. After a long battle, convinced the Court to dismiss the case and require that the plaintiff arbitrate the disputes pursuant to its contract with the contractor.
- After two years of litigation in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Camden County, successfully prevailed on a summary judgment motion dismissing a plaintiff’s whistleblower complaint in its entirety.
- Selected by South Jersey Biz as one of the “20 under 40” young leaders in the South Jersey area.
- Recognized as a “New Jersey Rising Stars” in 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008.
- Chosen for “Pennsylvania Rising Stars” from 2010-2013.
- Co-chair, Commercial Litigation Section, Camden County Bar Association
- Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
- Calling All Angels Gala, Advisory Board
- Received a 5.0 Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Client Review Rating.
- Assisted various nonprofits in legal work, pro bono. Represented an inmate on death row, pro bono, in a Pennsylvania Federal Court case, and assisted in transferring the inmate out of solitary confinement.
*Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.