Gary has comprehensive experience in complex civil litigation matters. His law practice concentrates in the areas of commercial, medical malpractice, professional liability, health care, sexual assault claims, intellectual property litigation and cases of high monetary exposure. Gary chairs the firm’s Professional Liability Practice Group and the Catastrophic Loss Group.
As an active litigator, Gary has tried well over 185 major jury trials and has had success in Federal and State court as well as arguing successfully before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. Gary is also a former founder and litigation partner at Maturano, Patete & Samms, whose practice focused on civil litigation and criminal defense. Furthermore, he has directed litigation involving numerous commercial and injunction matters. He began his career clerking for the Honorable Robert J. Shenkin of the Chester County Court of Common Pleas.
Gary is a recognized speaker and lecturer, most frequently speaking on trial tactics, experts, and cross-examination. He has also been published in various health care publications on topics varying from Informed Consent to Selecting an Expert. He has also been featured on Fox Business News’ “Xpert Forum.” He also serves as a Judge Pro Tem for the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and serves as a trained mediator.
Gary has gained acclaim for his trial work and has been named five times to the lists as one of Pennsylvania’s Top 100 Lawyers and one of Philadelphia’s Top 100 Lawyers by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®. He has been selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers in the past fifteen consecutive years, including in 2020, an honor bestowed upon only 5% of Pennsylvania lawyers. He has previously been named one of “Pennsylvania’s 50 on the Fast Track” in 2001 by his peers.
Gary is a former President of the Chester County Bar Association, Young Lawyer Division. He has served on the Board of Directors for both the Chester County Bar Foundation and the Chester County Bar Association (1991-94). Gary has also served in a leadership capacity with the following:
- Defense Research Institute
- American Inns of Court
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Board of Directors for the Upper Main Line YMCA
- Chester County Mental Health and Mental Retardation Subcommittee on Human Rights (1993-96)
- East Whiteland Planning Commission (1993-96)
- St. Patrick’s Men’s Club
- Board of Directors, Vice President, The Other Carpenter (Nonprofit Organization)
- Collegium Charter School Board of Trustees, Past President
- Turks Head Athletic Club, Solicitor
- Vice President, Conestoga Legion Baseball
Throughout his career, Gary has also been honored by his peers and the legal community for his outstanding work. His recognitions include:
- The Legal Intelligencer – 2020 Professional Excellence Award – “Distinguished Leader”
- Suburban Life Magazine – “Reader’s Choice Top Attorneys” – Malpractice Law area (2011 and 2010)
- Suburban Life Magazine – Awesome Attorneys (2013-2018
- Top 100: Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2009-2011; 2013-2014)
- Top 100: Philadelphia Super Lawyers (2009-2011; 2013-2014)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2006-2022)
- “Pennsylvania’s 50 on the Fast Track” (2001)
- Philadelphia Life “Top Attorney”
*Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.