Darwin Beauvais Provides Practical Guidance on Land Use Ordinances for Real Estate Development
Obermayer partner Darwin Beauvais is one of LexisNexis’ featured real estate authors. Darwin’s practical guidance, titled “Land Use Ordinances for Real Estate Development ” explains how land use relief can be obtained via local legislation without seeking approval from a municipal zoning hearing board or a similar board of review. The guidance offers guidance on the following steps and explains their significance in the drafting and approval process:
- Reviewing the site plans in relation to the local zoning code
- Drafting the proposed ordinance either in the form of a zoning overlay or as a text amendment to the local municipal code
- Involving the local planning commission, zoning officer, permitting office, and/or municipal attorney
- Discussing the proposed ordinance with the local elected official
- Understand and participate in the public process in support of the proposed ordinance becoming law
Read the full guidance here.
Darwin focuses his practice on zoning and land use as well as local government affairs. He is certified by the U.S. Green Building Council as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED® AP). This designation gives him an industry-leading understanding of green building practices and principles. In his practice, Darwin works closely with elected officials and municipal agencies for the benefit of his clients. Learn more about Darwin’s experience here.