“Being a lawyer often puts me at the center of things and that’s right where I like to be – in the middle of the action, where I get things done.”
A leader in her profession and communities, Karen is a business law attorney, concentrating her practice on financing, lender liability & workouts, mergers & acquisitions, real estate development, banking, tax, zoning & land use, and corporate matters.
Clients appreciate Karen’s drive to close transactions in a timely and efficient way, while handling all of the unique and often difficult issues that arise along the way. She ensures that everything is done legally and fairly within an ever-changing regulatory environment. Because the vast majority of her work is regional, Karen’s impact is close to home in Philadelphia and the surrounding metropolitan area.
When not working, Karen enjoys staying busy with community activities, especially those involving her children’s interests including softball, dance, art, lacrosse, cheerleading, and synagogue life. She is also active in local politics. In fact, Karen serves as Montgomery County Controller in Pennsylvania, an elected office she has held since January 2016.
Karen represents financial institutions and borrowers in complex, front-end commercial transactions in real estate and asset-based lending, as well as restructurings and workouts. Her bank deals often involve providing capital to launch or continue businesses – many family owned and operated. In this capacity, as she puts it, Karen helps banks help people fund their dreams.
In addition, Karen represents purchasers and sellers in real estate acquisitions, development, and sales. She also assists clients in general corporate matters and corporate finance, including governance issues, entity selection, contract negotiations, and structuring complex commercial deals.
- Recognized in the inaugural Keystone Pro Bono Attorney Awards.
- Included in the Top Lawyers in Montgomery County list for 2023.
- Selected to The Legal Intelligencer’s “2016 Top Women in Law.”
- Named Pennsylvania “Lawyer on the Fast Track 2013” by the Legal Intelligence
- Selected to “Pennsylvania’s Rising Stars” 2007, 2013, 2014, 2018.
- Awarded enrollment in the Pro Bono Roll of Honor by the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania as an attorney whose work has been recognized by the judiciary as exemplary for her pro bono work representing children with the Support Center for Child Advocates, 2006 to 2018.
- Has served as Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, Controller since a resounding victory in 2015, her first bid for public office. She serves as the County’s financial watchdog of the more than 800,000 constituents.
- Consistently awarded for her pro bono work representing children as a Child Advocate with the Support Center for Child Advocates.
- Co-Chair of the Obermayer Women’s Network (OWN), where she focuses on promoting women in business and leadership positions.
- Frequent lecturer on lender liability issues, specifically on-site presentations for clients. a
- Board Member of Briar Bush Nature Center, Abington, Pa.
*Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.