“I strive to be more than just a lawyer or counselor who solves client problems. My goal is to be a trusted adviser who understands their business and is committed to their growth.”
Derek S. Green is a former Councilman At-Large for the City of Philadelphia. He has extensive litigation experience, including handling contract disputes, corporate transactions, and negotiating intergovernmental agreements.
As a member of City Council, Councilman Green chaired the Committee on Disabilities and served as the Vice Chair of the Committees on Aging and Law and Government. Additionally, he served as the Chairman of the Philadelphia Gas Commission, Board Director for the Philadelphia Cultural Fund, Board Director for the Democratic Municipal Officials, Regional Director for the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials, and a Board Member for the Pennsylvania Municipal League.
Due to his challenging schedule as an elected official and a practicing attorney, Derek doesn’t have a lot of free time. However, he does enjoy early morning exercise as a way to unwind and relieve stress. Derek recently completed his first Broad Street Run and his first Dad Vail Regatta.
Derek is the former Special Counsel to City Councilwoman Marian B. Tasco. In this capacity, he proposed and drafted legislation as well as reviewed and monitored local, state, and federal legislation. He also served as counsel to the Philadelphia Gas Commission Chair and the Committees on Finance and Public Health and Human Services and managed various council hearings and meetings with lobbyists and executives.
Prior to joining the Councilwoman’s office, Derek served as Deputy City Solicitor in the Housing and Community Development Division of the Corporate Group of the City’s Law Department. There he represented the Offices of Housing and Community Development and Neighborhood Transformation Initiatives, Commerce Department, and Vacant Property Review Committee. He drafted and negotiated more than 375 housing and economic development contracts and amendments annually, and co-authored the Philadelphia Anti-Predatory Lending Ordinance, Bill #000715-A. Additionally, Derek’s experience includes positions as Assistant District Attorney and Assistant Deputy Attorney General for the State of Delaware (Securities and Criminal Divisions).
Throughout his life, Derek has been drawn to helping people solve problems. As an elected official, former banker, state and municipal attorney, and entrepreneur, he draws upon a diverse background of business and legal experiences to aid his clients in solving their problems and achieving their goals.
As an example of his legal experience, Derek worked with a client to successfully develop a senior center by assembling a complex public and private financing package and resolving a construction litigation matter that threatened the completion of the project.
On December 1, 2023, Derek was appointed by Mayor-elect Cherelle Parker to serve on her Transition Team as a member of the Steering Committee.
Derek has received a number of honors throughout his career, including:
- 2004 Lawyer on the Fast Track by The Pennsylvania Law Weekly;
- President’s Outstanding Community Leader Award, Cheyney University;
- Distinguished Leadership Award, Community College of Philadelphia;
- 2008 Gimper Award for Outstanding Service, Urban Education Fund;
- One of the region’s key connectors and leaders, Leadership Philadelphia;
- One of 6 new young political leaders, Metro Philadelphia;
- One of the 10 under 40 rising political stars, Philadelphia Daily News.
Derek has served in a leadership capacity in a number of civic and professional organizations including:
- President of the Center in the Park, Inc. and East Mount Airy Neighbors, Inc. (“EMAN”);
- First Vice President of the Germantown YMCA, Vice President of Young America Political Action Committee: Co-Vice Chair of the PA Bar Assoc.’s Legal Services to the Public Committee;
- Board Director for the Green Tree School, Mt. Airy USA, the Urban League of Philadelphia, the West Oak Lane Charter School and the West Philadelphia YMCA;
- Pro bono counsel for the Family Life Centers of Canaan Baptist Church and Salem Baptist Church of Jenkintown.
Derek and his wife, Sheila, co-founded the first Autism Support Class at Houston Elementary School to help other autistic children like their son. To aid other families affected by autism, they are a top regional fundraiser for Autism Speaks.