Derek S. Green
Print This Page
Derek S. Green has extensive litigation experience, which ranges from handling contract disputes, corporate transactions and negotiating intergovernmental agreements.
Mr. Green is the former Special Counsel to City Councilwoman Marian B. Tasco. In this capacity, he proposed and drafted legislation as well as reviewed and monitored local, state, and federal legislation. He also served as counsel to the Philadelphia Gas Commission Chair and the Committees on Finance and Public Health and Human Services and managed various council hearings and meetings with lobbyists and executives.
Prior to joining the Councilwoman’s office, Mr. Green served as Deputy City Solicitor in the Housing and Community Development Division of the Corporate Group of the City’s Law Department. There he represented the Offices of Housing and Community Development and Neighborhood Transformation Initiatives, Commerce Department, and Vacant Property Review Committee. He drafted and negotiated more than 375 housing and economic development contracts and amendments annually, and co-authored the Philadelphia Anti-Predatory Lending Ordinance, Bill #000715-A.
Additionally, Mr. Green’s experience includes positions as Assistant District Attorney and Assistant Deputy Attorney General for the State of Delaware (Securities and Criminal Divisions).
Professional & Community Activities
- Canaan Family Life Center, Pro Bono Counsel
- Center for Progressive Leadership, Faculty Coach & Alumni Board of Directors (2008-2012)
- Center in the Park, Inc., President (2010-2014), Board of Directors
- East Mount Airy Neighbors, Inc., President (2003-2006), Zoning Chairman
- Germantown YMCA, First Vice President (2008-2010)
- Green Tree School, Board of Directors
- Mt. Airy USA CDC, Board of Directors
- Robert Johnson Smith Family Life Center, Inc., Pro Bono Counsel
- Urban League of Philadelphia, Board of Directors (1994-2002)
- West Oak Lane Charter School, Board of Directors
- West Philadelphia YMCA, Board of Managers (2005-2008)
Honors & Awards
- Pennsylvania Law Weekly, Lawyer on the Fast Track, 2004
- Leadership Philadelphia, Inc., Regional Philadelphia Leader and Connector
- Metro Philadelphia, 6 New Young Political Leaders, 2009
- Philadelphia Daily News, 10 under 40 Rising Political Star, 2008
- Cheyney University, President’s Outstanding Community Leader Award
- INROADS/Philadelphia, Inc., Alumnus of the Year, 1994
- Urban Education Fund., Inc., Gimper Award, 2008
- Urban League of Philadelphia Leadership Institute, Cecil B. Moore Award, 1994
Related Firm News
Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.