“I work tirelessly to achieve my clients’ goals and to advocate zealously on their behalf.”
Tom represents clients in all aspects of matrimonial law matters involving issues of custody, parenting time, child support, alimony, equitable distribution, domestic violence, adoptions, and prenuptial agreements. He handles all stages of matrimonial litigation including trials, appeals, plenary hearings, emergent applications as well as pre and post judgment applications.
As a family law attorney, Tom regularly faces situations that require unique and creative solutions. He begins a case by focusing not only on each client’s individual goals, but also what drives that client. In many family law matters, people can be quick to make emotionally-charged decisions, which are often not the best decisions from a financial or familial perspective. Tom realizes that getting to know his clients, what they hope to achieve, and why, is an integral part of maintaining an informed practice.
Tom resides in Haddonfield, New Jersey, with his wife, Laura. He enjoys spending time with friends and family and vacationing in Cape May during the summer. He is an avid runner and an enthusiastic New York sports fan.
Directly after law school, Tom served as a judicial law clerk for the Hon. Terrence R. Cook, J.S.C., in the Burlington County Superior Court, Family Division. Prior to joining Obermayer, Tom was an associate at a Southern New Jersey law firm where he represented clients in complex divorce litigation and non-dissolution matters.
Tom aims to settle cases in an equitable and expedient manner, including contentious divorce and non-divorce matters. He has a wide array of experience with clients from all socioeconomic backgrounds, and has settled and tried cases with marital estates ranging in value from thousands of dollars to multi-millions. He is successful in obtaining favorable results for clients in complex divorce trials involving issues of custody, parenting time, child support, alimony, equitable distribution, and domestic violence.
Some of Tom’s more notable cases include:
- Obtained sole custody and a substantial counsel fee award for a client, in addition to a favorable equitable distribution outcome, in a 2017 divorce trial;
- Obtained a very favorable financial decision in a 2016 divorce trial involving a multi-million dollar marital estate, with his client being awarded the majority of all marital assets;
- At a plenary hearing (a limited trial on the issue of alimony), was successful in having his client’s permanent alimony obligation terminated;
- Succeeded at having a relocation request denied by the court on behalf of a client who opposed the other parent’s out-of-state relocation with their minor child;
- Obtained favorable results for clients in domestic violence trials, and settlement of domestic violence cases; and
- Successfully negotiated dozens of premarital agreements, protecting his client’s premarital assets, as well as the prospective growth and appreciation of those assets.
Tom currently serves on the Family Law Section Executive Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA). He is also an associate editor of the New Jersey Family Lawyer, a publication of the NJSBA Family Law Section.
Tom has been named a New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017-2019), 10 Best for Client Satisfaction in NJ by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys (2015-2018), and Top 40 Under 40 by The National Advocates (2016-2017).
*Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.