“I have a passion to see neighborhoods redeveloped and properties brought back to life, either with adaptive reuse or new construction.”
Herc is both a partner at the firm and the Chair of Obermayer’s Land Use & Zoning Practice Group. He focuses his practice in real estate development with an emphasis on zoning and land use, handling permits, zoning approvals, land development, acquisitions, financing, and leasing. Uniquely, Herc offers his clients the full breadth of legal services needed to get projects approved, constructed and stabilized.
Herc is passionate about developing his home city of Philadelphia. He is a trusted advocate and counselor to his clients, and has distinguished himself as an attorney who gets deals done. He enjoys assisting clients with building new properties, navigating the municipal process and following real estate deals from acquisition, to entitlement, to financing and construction, and, finally, leasing and disposition.
In his free time, Herc enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters, either at the Jersey shore or any place that has a beach or ski slope. He grew up working in his family’s traditional Greek diner, where he developed his love for cooking, his understanding of business, and his commitment to hard work.
Herc represents a wide array of clients from small to large developers to businesses and individuals in the Greater Philadelphia region as well as New Jersey. Throughout his career, he has secured approvals for multi-million dollar projects including apartment buildings, townhome developments, shopping centers, retail chains, educational institutions, supermarkets, car dealerships, national fast food chains, telecommunications facilities, and outdoor advertising projects, among others.
Some of Herc’s more notable achievements include:
- Obtaining approval and community support for the development of a 1300 unit mixed use multi-family commercial development on the Philadelphia Waterfront;
- Obtaining approval for a 75 unit townhome community on the Philadelphia Waterfront;
- Redevelopment of a failing mall in the Philadelphia suburbs into a successful retail shopping center;
- Entitlement and development of an extended stay hotel in the Philadelphia suburbs;
- Entitlement of a 250 unit apartment complex in Philadelphia;
- Entitlement of an approximately 170 unit townhome development on Philadelphia waterfront.
- Obtaining approval for the adaptive reuse of a large industrial building into 120 multi-family dwellings;
- Acquisition and financing of a $20 Million development parcel in Philadelphia.
- Financing of an approximately $25,000,000 construction loan for development of a multi-family property in Philadelphia.
- Redevelopment of a shuttered Philadelphia hospital and medical school into a mixed use campus including offices, student housing, medical, educational and day care uses;
- Assisting large townhome and high rise developers in connection with planning, zoning, historic, licensing and inspections and health department permitting;
- Representing the developer of a 33-story mixed-use high-rise in Philadelphia, including obtaining variances and approvals for construction, negotiating and working with neighbors and civic associations, and drafting development agreements as part of winning their support for the project;
- Acquisition and financing of a multi-family housing project in Hudson County, New Jersey.
- Serving as local zoning counsel for the purchase of an approximately two-million square-foot warehouse project in Central Pennsylvania; and
Prior to joining Obermayer, Herc served as an assistant city solicitor for the City of Philadelphia Law Department with his focus on code enforcement, finance, contracts and real estate. This experience has enabled him to excel in administrative law and land use matters.
Herc was named as one of the top young lawyers to the Pennsylvania Rising Stars list as seen in both Philadelphia magazine (December 2008; June 2011; June 2015; June 2016; June 2017) and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® magazine (December 2008; June 2011; June 2015; June 2016; June 2017 editions). Rising Stars are chosen by their peers and through the independent research of Thomson Reuters, Legal as being among the top-up-and-coming lawyers in the Commonwealth. Only 2.5 percent of Pennsylvania attorneys receive this honor each year.
Herc was a Member of the Board of Directors of the St. George Cathedral Housing Corporation from 2011 to 2015. From 2004 to 2008, he sat on the Board of Governors of the American Hellenic Lawyers Association. He is a member of Building Industry Association of Philadelphia, the Development Workshop of Philadelphia, the International Council of Shopping Centers, and the Philadelphia Bar Association.
*Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.