William J. Leonard
Print This Page
William J. Leonard has diverse and comprehensive experience in complex commercial disputes, where he serves as trial and appellate counsel. His breadth of litigation experience allows him to advise clients on a variety of legal fronts, adding value to his representations by enabling him to provide clients with guidance in different areas without having to rely on additional consultation.
Mr. Leonard’s multi-faceted practice includes matters such as antitrust litigation, public finance and securities matters, zoning and land use, construction and insurance litigation, including legal malpractice cases. He represents a diverse client base including real estate owners and developers, insurance companies, legal professionals, school districts and government entities.
Some of his recent representative matters include:
- Handling anti-trust actions involving price-fixing and monopoly
- Advising clients in government fraud and qui tam cases
- Representing a Pennsylvania school district in construction litigation
- Counseling clients on legal malpractice suits
- Assisting insurance companies in collections of delinquent premiums and deductibles
- Representing owners and developers in real estate partnership disputes
In 11 of the last 13 years, Mr. Leonard has been named one of "Pennsylvania’s Super Lawyers®," an honor bestowed on 5% of Pennsylvania lawyers, in both Philadelphia magazine and Thomson Reuters, Legal, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyers.” He has earned an AV ® preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, indicating his preeminent legal ability and very high ethical standards.
Currently, Mr. Leonard serves on the Board of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA). Previously, for 12 years he served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority (PICA) and was the Board's vice chairman for a number of years. PICA is a Commonwealth created authority empowered to review and approve budgets and five-year spending plans of the City of Philadelphia. Mr. Leonard also served, by appointment of the Montgomery County Commissioners, as a member of the Board of Directors of the Montgomery County Development Corporation. He was a member of Governor Tom Wolf's Revenue Transition Team.
Mr. Leonard is a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee and is the past chairman of the firm’s Recruiting Committee. Mr. Leonard believes in giving back to the community. He is a member of the Whitpain Recreation Association, a community nonprofit, which runs intramural sports programs in the Blue Bell area for thousands of children, ages 7-16.
Honors & Awards
- Named as one of Pennsylvania's "Super Lawyers®" (2007-2016)
Professional & Civic Activities
- SEPTA Board Member
- Member, Board of Directors, Defender Association of Philadelphia
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Montgomery County Development Corporation
- Past Vice Chairman, Pennsylvania Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority Board
Related Firm News
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to PA Super Lawyers List
- William Leonard Receives the Amicus Service Award from IMLA
- William Leonard Appointed to Defender Association Board of Directors
- Obermayer Attorneys Named To 2016 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® And Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named To 2015 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® And Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2012 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and 2011 Pennsylvania Rising Stars lists
Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.