Walter W. Cohen
Print This Page
A skilled and seasoned litigator, Walter W. Cohen’s career spans over 45 years in criminal prosecutions and investigations and in government service. Today, Mr. Cohen’s legal practice includes the representation of large and multi-national corporations on regulatory issues before state attorney generals throughout the country. He also is experienced in handling medical reimbursement and licensing issues for doctors and health care facilities. He has appeared in all three federal district courts in Pennsylvania as well as the Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Immediately prior to joining Obermayer in 1996, Mr. Cohen was the acting attorney general of Pennsylvania and, from 1989 through 1994, the first deputy attorney general. As first deputy, he gave overall supervision to all significant civil and criminal litigation, while also directly handling appeals in state and federal courts, including arguing before the U.S. Supreme Court. Mr. Cohen’s earlier service in Pennsylvania state government included four years (1983-87) as secretary of public welfare and four years (1979-83) as State Consumer Advocate. As secretary, he managed the largest single state agency in the country, including administration of the Medicaid program and oversight of mental health, mental retardation and long-term care.
He began his legal career in the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, serving as a chief assistant district attorney from 1969 – 1974.
Among the complex litigation matters in which he has been involved are In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1285 (D.DC), where he represented a multinational Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company plaintiff, and In re Pharmaceutical Industry Average Wholesale Price Litigation, MDL No. 1456 (D.Mass) where he has represented two major pharmaceutical companies.
Mr. Cohen is a regular commentator regarding developments in the Jerry Sandusky child abuse case and related issues involving Penn State University on WHP-TV21 News (the CBS Harrisburg affiliate), and has also appeared on the NBC Nightly News, the Today Show, MSNBC and WHTM-TV27 News (the ABC Harrisburg affiliate). Mr. Cohen also provides legal analysis to the Harrisburg Patriot-News concerning the current appeal of Mr. Sandusky.
Mr. Cohen has been an adjunct professor of law at Widener University School of Law, teaching Pennsylvania civil practice. He previously taught criminal law at Temple University and lectured on criminal justice at the University of Pennsylvania School of Law, Bryn Mawr School of Social Work and the National Jail Center in Boulder, CO. He is past president, past treasurer and now a member of the Board of Directors of the Jewish Home of Greater Harrisburg.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Former Acting Attorney General of Pennsylvania
- Former First Deputy Attorney General of Pennsylvania
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Widener University School of Law
- Past-President, Jewish Home of Greater Harrisburg
- Member, Harrisburg Police Pension Board
- Member, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, and American Bar Associations
Related Firm News
- Walter Cohen and Bob Jubelirer Quoted in Pittsburgh Post-Gazatte
- Walter Cohen Receives Francis X. Bellotti Award
- Walter Cohen Quoted on Pennlive on Paranoia in Kane's Office
- Walter Cohen Quoted on Pennlive on Kane "Porngate" Quagmire
- Walter Cohen Quoted in Pittsburgh City Paper
- Walter Cohen Quoted in TibLive on Kane's appointment of Castor
- Walter Cohen Quoted on Philly.com on Kane's Appointment of Castor
- Walter Cohen Quoted on PennLive on Kane's Appointment of Castor
- Walter Cohen was Quoted on PennLive Kane's removal and her survival
- Walter Cohen Quoted on PennLive on Kane's Removal
- Walter Cohen Presents on PCN
- Walter Cohen was featured on Hbg Fox43
- Walter Cohen Featured on Hbg Channel 27ABC News
- Walter Cohen Mentioned on Allentown Morning Call
- Walter Cohen Quoted on Philly.com on Senate's Move to Remove Kane from Office
- Walter Cohen Quoted on Philly.com on Kane License Suspension
- Walter Cohen Quoted on TribLive on Kane's Law License Suspension
- Walter Cohen was interviewed on ABC-27 News on Friday in Harrisburg concerning Attorney General Kathleen Kane
- Walter Cohen Interviewed on PennLive and Fox43 News
- Walter Cohen Discusses Governor Corbett Lawsuit Against NCAA
- Walter Cohen commentates on developments in the Jerry Sandusky, Penn State case and the related Freeh Report