Michael V. Phillips
Print This Page
Michael Phillips has a multifaceted practice that includes business litigation, real estate law, commercial lending and workouts, condominium law, sports law and government relations. He is known for his strategic approach to resolving disputes and for his trusted business advice.
Mr. Phillips’ litigation practice consists of a wide array of civil litigation, including business and partnership disputes, commercial lending and banking workouts, foreclosures, civil RICO actions, landlord-tenant disputes, intellectual property and appellate advocacy. He regularly represents numerous banks and financial institutions in commercial and real estate litigation, including the workout of distressed commercial loans.
In the areas of sports law, Mr. Phillips has represented numerous athletes in general real estate and business matters and has handled grievance arbitrations before the National Hockey League Players' Association. Rounding out Mr. Phillips’ practice is his work in government relations where he provides guidance to lobbyists, lobbying firms, political action committees and political candidates in regulatory, campaign finance and election law matters.
Mr. Phillips and his colleague’s recent victory in a $1.4M construction defect claim settlement was featured in the The Legal Intelligencer’s article “Case Over Alleged Defects at Condos Is Settled”(January 8, 2013) and in The Pennsylvania Record (January 21, 2013). The case centered around homebuyers who purchased newly constructed condo units only to find major issues with their units and the building, which the developer refused to address.
Mr. Phillips is an active member of the civic community. He has chaired local political campaigns and serves on the Board of Directors for numerous non-profit organizations. He also regularly handles pro bono matters through the Homeless Advocacy Project and has been recognized on numerous occasions for his commitment to pro bono work. In 2012, Mr. Phillips received an "Unsung Heroes Award" from The Legal Intelligencer for his pro bono work and dedication to helping those in need.
- Named Pennsylvania "Lawyer on the Fast Track 2014" by the Legal Intelligencer
- 2013 Homeless Advocacy Project recognition for his outstanding service as coordinator for the Homeless Advocacy Project’s “Adopt-a-Shelter” Program
- 2012 Unsung Heroes Award - Pro Bono Work and Dedication to Helping Those in Need, The Legal Intelligencer
- Pennsylvania Rising Stars, 2011 - 2017
- ABA/BNA Award for Excellence in the Field of Intellectual Property Law,
Villanova Law School
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Conservation Pennsylvania, Board Member
- Homeless Advocacy Project, Volunteer
- Lawyer Philadelphia Futures, Mentor
Related Firm News
- Michael Phillips quoted on PlanPhilly on Philadelphia Fishtown Church
- Michael Phillips Quoted in Philadelphia Inquirer
- Obermayer Attorneys Named To 2016 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® And Rising Stars Lists
- Michael Phillips quoted in AP story
- Firm Announces New Partners
- Michael Phillips Quoted in Philadelphia Inquirer on St. Laurentius Church Historic Designation
- Michael Phillips Quoted on CBS Philadelphia
- St. Laurentius Catholic Church Moves Closer to Historical Designation
- Obermayer Attorneys Named To 2015 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® And Rising Stars Lists
- Tiffani McDonough and Michael Phillips Named "Lawyers on the Fast Track"
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorney Michael V. Phillips Wins in Pro Bono Case
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2012 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and 2011 Pennsylvania Rising Stars lists
- Obermayer's Michael Phillips Receives Unsung Heroes Award
Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.