Michael E. Hooper
Print This Page
Michael E. Hooper focuses his practice on energy and real estate law, commercial transactions and business formation – including those within the field of mineral rights, titles and leases, and banking, commercial real estate development and financing. He has significant experience in overseeing large multistate real estate projects, including mineral title projects and commercial real estate acquisitions, and has represented energy clients in connection with due diligence, sale and acquisition transactions.
Mr. Hooper's experience includes the following:
- Represented a national energy company that was seeking to expand its mining operations in the Appalachian region through acquisition. Managed title work for more than 8,500 acres in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, ascertaining and resolving disputes regarding ownership of mineral rights
- Developed protocols for a national energy company for review and analysis of large multi‑state due diligence project for the purchase of mineral ownership rights and related interests
- Coordinated a series of transactions for a regional energy company to acquire over 5,100 acres of property in the Appalachian region. Efforts included not only analysis and preparation of title opinions and curative work, but assisting in negotiation of pricing based on title quality
- Represented a national company in ongoing multistate land and business transactions, including due diligence, contract negotiation and drafting, project oversight, and dispute resolution
- Obtained tax incremental financing (TIF) for various projects, including property tax TIF in excess of $2.25 million for infrastructure improvements necessary for redevelopment project. That redevelopment project resulted in employment for more than 170 employees
- Provided full range of services for large regional redevelopment project including anchor tenant leasing, land sales, construction agreements, dispute resolution and related litigation
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hooper was a partner at a law firm in Wheeling, West Virginia, where he served as the leader for the land and natural resource development practice group.
During law school, Mr. Hooper served as an intern to the Hon. Joseph F. Weis, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He was also appointed a student representative to the Faculty Selection Committee and was an advisor to first year law students.
Mr. Hooper was appointed by Gov. Tomblin as Commissioner for The State’s Commission for National and Community Service (Volunteer West Virginia) and serves as its chairman.
Professional & Community Activities
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- The William Blackstone American Inn of Court
- Presbytery Judicial Committee
- Presbytery Stand by Investigating Committee
- West Virginia Commission for National and Community Service, Commissioner
- Wheeling Lions Club, President
- Ohio County Bar Association Law Library, Chairman, 1987 – 1993
- Laughlin Memorial Chapel, President, 2008 – 2012
- Vance Memorial Presbyterian Church, Elder and Deacon, 1998 – 2011
- Elm Grove Business Association, President, 2002 – 2003
- Children's Home of Wheeling, Inc. , Director, 2007 – 2012
- 2013 “Who's Who in Energy,” Pittsburgh Business Times
- Melvin Jones Fellowship, Lion's Club International Foundation, 2006
- Kaufman Award, West Virginia State Bar Association, 1999
- Firestone 100 Who Serve Award, 2000
- Leonard Jarrett Award, 1996, 2007
Related Firm News
Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.