James M. Penny, Jr.
Print This Page
James M. Penny, Jr.'s practice is directed to the representation of management, with an emphasis on labor and employment litigation, fair employment law, occupational safety and health law and fair housing law. He appears regularly before federal and state trial and appellate courts and administrative agencies in a wide range of matters, including all aspects of employment litigation, federal and state affirmative action compliance, fair housing cases, occupational safety and health issues and labor arbitrations.
He began his career as a deputy city solicitor with the City of Philadelphia in the Appeals and Special Litigation Division, where he concentrated on civil rights class action litigation, particularly employment discrimination litigation. He was responsible for several cases of national significance, including Rizzo v. Goode, 423 U.S. 362(1976), which he successfully briefed and argued before the U.S. Supreme Court. That decision reversed the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and made new law limiting the remedial powers of the federal courts.
Mr. Penny writes and lectures frequently. He wrote the “Employers Guide to the Americans With Disabilities Act,” and has lectured to such diverse groups as the American Psychological Association, the Personnel Testing Council of Greater Washington, International Personnel Management Association and the Apartment Association of Greater Philadelphia. He served on the faculty for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's biennial seminar on Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission Practice. Mr. Penny is listed as one of the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® as seen in both Philadelphia magazine and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers magazine.
Mr. Penny is former chairman of the firm’s Labor Relations and Employment Law Department.
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Employment Lawyers Council
- American Bar Association, Labor Section-EEO and OSHA Committees and Litigation Section
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Labor Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Labor Section
Related Firm News
- Obermayer Attorneys Named To 2016 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® And Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named To 2015 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® And Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Obermayer Attorneys Named to 2012 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and 2011 Pennsylvania Rising Stars lists
- James Penny Featured Presenter at SEPANPHA Education Event
Click here for a description of the standard or methodology on which the awards and honors are based. No aspect of this advertisement is approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.